Making Changes During the Year
You can make changes during the plan year if something in your life changes (and is an event recognized by the IRS), such as:
- Marriage or divorce
- Birth or adoption of a child
- Child reaching age 26
- Death of a spouse or child
- Change in child custody
- Change in coverage election made by your spouse his/her employer’s Open Enrollment period
- You lose coverage under your spouse’s plan
If you experience a qualifying life event, you’ll report this by recording your life event in Workday within 30 days of the date of the event. The election change must be consistent with the event. Benefit election decisions will then remain in force for the remainder of the plan year. You are required to submit proper documentation to the Dependent Verification Center. If it is determined that you have an ineligible dependent enrolled in the plan, you’ll be responsible for any incurred claims and coverage will be terminated back to the original effective date.
Examples of proper documentation based on the specific Life Event that you selected.
- Birth Certificate
- Adoption Court Documentation
- Marriage Certificate
- Domestic Partnership Affidavit
- Divorce Decree/Legal Separation Agreement
- Proof of gain or loss of outside coverage
IMPORTANT: Your new coverage will not be approved until we receive the appropriate documentation. You will attach supporting documentation within workday when you create your life event.